Saturday, August 21, 2010

man oh man...tel

one of the challenges of living with someone is incorporating your pieces together. Our mantle has been a thorn in my side since we moved in in January. I'll be honest, most of the decor in the house is my style, but I am very conscious of using my boyfriend's things so it feels like his place too. One such item is his "Pubs of Iowa City" poster. I had it framed and put it on our mantle right after we moved in, but the whole looks was just kind of a hodge podge.


It had a lot of stuff on it with no real organization. So it just sat until I came up with an idea. Taunting me every time I came home. At a recent flea market, I found this adorable metal tool box. I didn't like the red so I stripped the paint. 


It unveiled what I hoped, a cool stainless finish. 


Then I headed to JoAnn Fabrics and found some decorative accents to put inside. 

 


Hanging the poster, removing the clutter, and placing some accents along the mantle gave it a cleaner more streamlined look and works better with the living room. 



The shoes are still a problem, I have been searching for a nice storage solution for them. If it was me, they would be in our respective closets, but my boyfriend likes having his shoes at the front door. Compromise, compromise. :) 

Since I want to share all my tips with you, there is one secret tool that helps every project run smoother, especially when you're staying in and working on a Friday night. And this time it was no different. Thank you magic tool...









2 comments:

Susan Glover said...

Looks great! My boyfriend and I don't live together but he has a thing for leaving his shoes by the door. What's up with that??

Again, bravo :)

Jenna said...

Thanks for the comments lady!! hope you're well!