Monday, August 6, 2012

going bananas: banana bread recipe

this post is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S! no, literally it is. I don't think there is anything that could make me feel more "Susie Homemaker" than thinking that I have a taste for something (i.e. banana bread) and actually having all the ingredients on hand. That's right folks, I'm all grown up. A real, live adult here. I had the craving this morning and two short hours later, I have delicious banana bread sitting in my kitchen.



I cobbled together some recipes I found online, and here's what my final modified recipe looked like:

O'Brien Banana Bread
4 ripe bananas, smashed
1/3 cup melted butter
3/4 cup sugar 
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
(Walnuts are optional - I didn't use them)

Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
With a wooden spoon, mix butter, mashed bananas and walnuts if you're using them in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Add the baking soda, salt and nutmeg and mix. Add the flour and mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan or two mini loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

Make sure you let it cool before slicing.

YUM!
My sister is coming in from LA tomorrow to visit, so I'm hoping the bread lasts long enough for her to taste!

No comments: