Friday, November 9, 2012

nice rack! black and gold magazine rack...

black and gold is my latest design obsession. I may or may not have spent $40 on 9 clearance vases at Target and 5 of them may have been black and gold. OB-SESSED. I'd been looking for a magazine rack for a while and when I found this one at a local vintage store for $12, I knew I could restore it to some black and gold loveliness.



I loved the detail. It was a little beat up but nothing a little spray paint couldn't bring back to life.


First I taped off all of the areas that will eventually be gold. 


Then I sprayed the exposed metal with semi-gloss Rusto-leum black spray paint. 


I let it dry for 24 hours then removed the tape. After another 24 hours, I taped off the freshly painted black areas. If you're doing a similar project, make sure to let the paint dry for a couple of days before taping it off so that the tape does pull off any paint that hasn't set yet. 


I thought maybe the frame was tarnished brass, but some scrubbing with a good brass cleaner revealed it was not. It was beat up and rusted so I grabbed my gold spray paint, Rusto-leum again. 


After letting it dry for 24 hours, I removed the tape. There were a couple of areas where the gold had leaked onto the black so I just grabbed a small craft paintbrush, sprayed it with some of the black paint and touched up any gold overspray. 

The result was better than I imagined. 




Retro, glam and totally unique. I'm so in love with it. 


3 comments:

Rachel said...

Great job, I really like the rack :) New follower!

casadesoria.blogspot.com

Jenna said...

Thanks so much, and thanks for following!

Unknown said...

Very nice