Monday, November 5, 2012

pinned it then did it: chicken bake

if you're like me, you can spend hours pinning things to Pinterest, but never go back and look at your pins. I find so many great things on Pinterest – outfits, organization ideas, recipes, decor inspiration – I figured it's time to start utilizing some of my pins. So I'm introducing a new series on My Life By Design called "Pinned It Then Did It" to showcase Pinterest finds that I tried in real life.

First up is my take on a Chicken and Dumplings recipe from Real Simple.  YUM! Doesn't it look good?

Real Simple recipe
As you can see in the link, the original recipe called for a 3-4 lb rotisserie chicken, shredded. I'm not a big fan of rotisserie chicken, so I boiled up 3 large chicken breasts then shredded the meat. Once the meat was about ready, I preheated the oven to 400 degrees.

Next I mixed together: one 12-oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables and two 10.75-oz cans of cream of mushroom condensed soup in a large mixing bowl. I also added some diced onion for added flavor.  


I then added the shredded chicken and salt and pepper to taste, mixed it up and transferred it to a casserole dish, covered it with foil and let it bake for 15 minutes.


After 15 minutes, I removed the foil, opened a tube of ready made biscuit dough and placed 10 biscuits on top of the mixture. I then put it back in the oven uncovered and let it cook for another 15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown. 


After 15 minutes, remove from oven and serve. 


Somebody was excited with the outcome! 

It looked and tasted delicious. Next time I might cut back on the amount of chicken (crazy I know) because it made it really dense, I would like it to be a little soupier next time. I also want to get an oval-shaped casserole dish just because I think it makes for a better presentation (and isn't that half the battle?). But the flavors mixed with the biscuits were amazing. A great meal for a chilly fall night. 


You can find the original recipe I pinned here. My modified recipe is as follows: 

Jenna's Chicken Bake
3 large chicken breasts, boiled then shredded
2 10.75-oz cans of cream of mushroom condensed soup
1 12-oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables
1/4 onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 10-count tube of refrigerated biscuits.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix chicken, soup, vegetables and onion in large mixing bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a casserole dish, cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, top with biscuits, cook for another 15 minutes or until biscuits are a golden brown. Enjoy! 



No comments: