Wednesday, January 9, 2013

brussels sprout salad...

I have been stuck in a side dish rut. I make the same things over and over which are usually potatoes and then a canned or frozen vegetable. snoozapalooza.  In an effort to eat healthier and cut out unnecessary starches, I perused the interwebs for some inspiration. That's when I stumbled upon a recipe for a warm brussels sprout salad from The Fit Cook.  It sounded healthy and delicious but also comforting for the cold winter months. I tweaked it a bit and honestly can say I've eaten this as a lunch three times since Christmas. I am obsessed. And I know you will be too. Here goes:


What you'll need for this recipe is:
A bundled of brussels sprouts
Half an orange
Bacon bits (about 1/2 cup)
Feta cheese
2 Tbs of EVOO

First cut the stem off of the brussels sprouts, then cut them in half, remove the leaves and place them in a bowl. You will not used the core of the sprouts for this recipe, but you can certainly save them and use them in another fashion.

In a skillet over medium high heat, add the EVOO and the bacon bits. Let these warm for a few minutes. Then add in your sprout leaves and cook until the leaves start to brown and wilt. Tossing every so often.


Once these are cooked, transfer them to a medium mixing bowl. Sprinkle with feta cheese and squeeze the juice of 1/2 an orange over the top. Toss together and salt and pepper to taste. 


It's great as a side dish or a healthy dinner salad. Like I said, I have eaten it for lunch three different times since Christmas and I can't wait to have it again. Yum! 


It's low in fat and very satisfying. I hope you enjoy it too! 

Send me your healthy recipes, I'm always looking for new ones to try. 





No comments: