Friday, January 11, 2013

transitioning the family room...

Green has been my go-to accent color in my last three homes. It added the right pop of color without ever feeling outdated. 
From lamps to rugs...


seat covers to vases....


and oh so many pillows...


it was all about the green. 

But all good things must come to an end. As I mentioned in my recent kitchen chair makeover post, the green just isn't working with the open floor plan of our new house. Our countertops are a green, blue, brown marbly laminate. You may say to yourself (if you're in the habit of talking to yourself, like I am), "Well then, self, green should be a great accent color." Except, it's not the right shade of green and it ends up making both the accents and the counters stick out like sore thumbs. 



So I'm going neutral with hints of deep blue. It's calming and serene, just what I want in the room where we do all of our relaxing. It will also be a good complement to our gray couch, cream carpet, and brown wood and leather furniture. We'll soon be getting our walls painted a subtle warm gray, so that will complete the room just perfectly. 

In the meantime, I've been searching for inspiration photos to achieve just the right level of blue while still making it feel very neutral. 

I love the tealish-gray blue in this photo and the way the velvet makes it so warm. 


I love the way they mixed all the blues in this room without making it feel too busy. 

This is one conveys the level of calmness I'm looking for. 
Via

I like the pairing of blue and white in this room. It adds a nice crispness that I am really fond of when decorating.  
Via

Now begins the process of slowly phasing out the green and introducing in the blue. I have to say it's a little hard to say goodbye to some of my green decor. I feel so bad storing it away when it's a perfectly good piece. But it will find a new home in another room at some point, I just have to keep reminding myself of that. 

Stay tuned for more updates on the transition.  

2 comments:

Jen Merrigan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen Merrigan said...

Love the transition to the blues or teals or both! I went with blues and grays in my living room to add a pop of color to my neutral couch and black furniture. I really like it (and west elm for all of my fun throw pillows).

Maybe you can do a guest bedroom makeover to incorporate the green accent pieces and throw pillows.

Can't wait to see the after pics!

Jen