Thursday, February 16, 2012

valentine's with a cherry on top...

as promised, here is part two of my Valentine's post. For dessert, I made a Red Velvet Cherry Cake.


I made two cakes. A two-tier cake for Ryan and I and a mini cake for my parents. The ingredients are pretty simple. As you can see above, all you need is Red Velvet Cake Mix, Comstock Cherry Pie Filling and the frosting of your choice. I chose Cream Cheese, but if I make this again, I will definitely try to make my own frosting. The Duncan Hines Cream Cheese was too rich for me. I really would have preferred just layering it with whip cream. Hmmmm.... maybe I will do that and keep it refrigerated next time.

Anyway, for the two-tier cake, I baked the cake, let it cool and then split it in two. I then covered the bottom layer with frosting.I had two cans on hand and for the entire recipes I used a can and a 1/4. Just judge by how much frosting you prefer. There is no required amount.

After it was frosted, I added a layer of the cherry pie filling, about 3/4 of the can. 

Then I put the top cake layer on and frosted it until the top was covered. I am not the kind of person who can gracefully frost the entire cake, even around the sides, so I didn't even attempt it. 

I didn't take a picture of this next step, but I made a little circle in the center of the frosting, removing he frosting that was in there, creating a little cavern. I filled that in with the remaining cherries (except for what I sat and ate straight out of the can with a spoon - but that doesn't count.) Since the cherry sauce is a bit runny, creating the cavern helps keep the cherries in the center of the cake. 
The combination of the Red Velvet Cake and the cherries was great. Like I said, I am not a fan of sweet frostings, so the Cream Cheese as a little much for me. But if you like sweet, you'll love it. That being said however, it hasn't stopped me from having a piece for breakfast today. 



No comments: